I loved the show Modern Family, and watched it religiously since the day the Pilot aired! Lots of food is mentioned throughout the entire season, so there was plenty of material for the creators of the cookbook to work with.
About Modern Family:
Modern Family was a mockumentary sitcom that aired for a whopping eleven seasons, so you know it was well-loved! It follows three diverse families as they go about their lives – the traditional mom + dad + 3 kids, a gay couple with an adopted daughter, and a divorced older father living with his young Colombian wife and her son. The show won numerous awards, including several Emmy awards for Outstanding Comedy Series!
About the Cookbook:
While I don’t remember every single episode (there are quite a few!), I recognize a lot of these recipes as being taken directly from the show. Each recipe is assigned to a family member, and at the beginning of the cookbook it explains each family’s style – Sunny Comfort, Sleek Luxury, and Asian Fusion. There are tons of pictures from the show throughout the cookbook, and plenty of food images as well (though they don’t have a food picture for every recipe). There are a lot of diverse recipes and each one includes a quote from the show. There are some other fun pages scattered throughout the book too, such as suggestions on how to get rid of annoying house guests and an overview of all the inventions and crazy ideas that Luke and Phil came up with together.
One of the things I love the most about this cookbook is the menus at the very back, including some holiday dishes, date night ideas, and other themed menus.
These are the first 20 recipes I’ll be testing before my final review:
- Phil’s Multigrain Malt Waffles
- Alex’s Fresh Fruit Salad with Lime-Ginger Syrup
- Manny’s French Toast Sticks
- Manny’s Soft-Boiled Eggs
- Gloria and Manny’s Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese
- Manny’s Prosciutto, Gruyere and Fig Panini
- Jay’s Barbecued Pork Shoulder
- Mitchell’s All-White-Meat Chicken Shawarma
SIDES & SNACKS
- Cam’s Healthy Tabbouleh-Style Rice Cucumber Rounds
- Jay’s Rice Pilaf
- Alex’s Brain Food Energy Bars
- Joe’s Fruit-Yogurt Pops
- Manny’s Girlfriend’s Salted Chocolate Milk
- Manny’s Pina Delgado
- Lily’s Sparkling Strawberry Lemonade
- Dede’s Horny Colombian Cocktails
- Luke and Phil’s Doughnut Waffle Sundaes
- Luke’s Easy Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Lily’s Pineapple Cake
- Claire’s Brown Sugar Icebox Cookies